Nariwa is located along the Nariwa River, a branch of the Takahashi River. In the Edo period (1603-1868), this area was administered by the Nariwa domain and developed as an important water transport transit point. At the same time, Tojo, located upstream on the Nariwa River, had long been famous as a district that produced iron sand and was successful in tatara iron making. It was Fukiya that connected these two important areas. Along the former Fukiya Street, there were rows of townhouses related to bengara wholesaling, inns, and retail shops for mine workers.
Copper and bengara produced in Fukiya and iron from the Chugoku Mountains were transported by horses and oxen via the Old Fukiya Road to the Nariwa riverbank, from whence those items were carried by river boats to the Tamashima Port (now Tamashima in Kurashiki city) before being shipped to various parts of Japan. In a reverse process, marine products were transported from Tamashima and Kasaoka to Nariwa and then delivered to Fukiya via the Old Fukiya Road. For this reason, that road was also called “The Fish Path”. In March 2007, the Fish Path was certified as a “Yume Kaido Renaissance”.